Recent Incidents

MARCH 2, 2012, 8:16 AM


On March 1, 2012 budget problems forced Tiffin Fire/Rescue to reduce minimum shift staffing from 10 to 9 members, Engine 1 became a two person engine. At 08:16 Friday Morning March 2, 2012, Crew 1 was dispatched for a possible building fire on Hudson Street. Engine 1 (Captain and operator), Truck 1 (two firefighters), Engine 2 (Captain and two firefighters), Medic 1 (two firefighters) and Chief 1 responded. Engine 1 arriving on the scene at 08:19 reported fire showing from the first floor and heavy smoke from both floors of a two story brick and wood joist warehouse. Chief 1 established Hudson Street command and struck a second alarm at 08:20 bringing all available off duty personnel to the scene.Command reported everyone out of the building at 08:21. Engine 1’s Captain and Truck 1’s firefighter made an aggressive interior attack on the fire located in the office area and extending into the warehouse. Truck 1’s driver began forcible entry on multiple man and garage doors. Engine 2 stretched a backup line in support of Engine 1’s attack and began horizontal ventilation while Medic 1’s crew stretched an exposure line into the rear section of the warehouse for extension. At 08:27 Command reported the main body of fire darkened but probable extension to the 2nd floor. At 08:29 Command requested a ladder truck from Fostoria fire be dispatched to the scene . Also requested were an engine and rescue company from Bascom Fire District and Clinton Volunteer Fire Department and an ambulance from Seneca County EMS to cover Tiffin’s Stations 1 and 2. Engine 3, the first recall engine advanced a line into the second floor reporting moderate heat and zero visibility. Truck 2 staffed with recall personnel completed roof ventilation and second floor conditions improved with the attack crews finding minimal extension. The fire was placed under control at 0927 with the last units leaving the scene at 11:38. A total of 31 firefighters were on the scene as well as 17 firefighters manning both stations. Cause of the fire was determined to be electrical.