Don't Let It Happen
To do damage, they don't need your card
-- they only need your numbers...credit cards, telephone, social security,
driver's license, passport, checks, bank accounts, etc...
Keep Your Information
- Do not print numbers on checks: social
security, telephone number, account number.
- Never give your credit card number over the
- Keep your telephone number unlisted.
- Cancel, in writing, any credit cards you have
not used in the last six months.
- Be careful if your social security number is
your medical identification number...know how it is handled at hospitals,
doctors' offices, and/or in an emergency.
Be Sure That Garbage Is
- Shred documents before throwing them
away...including credit card statements, bank statements, pre-approved
applications, any important papers with identifying numbers.
- If you decide not to proceed with a loan or
purchase, take all unused copies of the application, paperwork and/or
receipts home with you.
Find Out About Credit
- Request copies of your credit reports from one
or all of the credit reporting agencies...check the reports for
Keep An Eye On Your Mail!
- Deposit mail at the post office or in a postal
mail box. Do not leave bills in your home mailbox for the postman to pick
- Lock your mailbox.
- If you notice your mail is dwindling, check with
the post office to see if they have any change of address posted.
- When ordering new checks, pick them up at the
bank instead of having them delivered to your home.
Keep Important Papers
Locked At Home!
- Empty your wallet of any extra credit cards or
other important documents -- including your social security card -- unless
you know you are going to need them.
- Memorize your social security number. Avoid
carrying your social security card with you.
- Memorize ALL passwords and PIN numbers. Keep
Make A List!
- Keep a complete list of all your financial
accounts in a safe place that you can access easily in case any of them
are stolen. These include...Credit Cards (account numbers, expiration
dates, contact addresses and numbers) and Bank Information (bank name,
account numbers, contact information).
- Order your social security earnings and benefit
statement once a year so that you can check to make sure your earnings are
information is provided by the Tiffin Police Department
and the National Crime Prevention Council.