Applicants in the lateral hire process will submit a cover letter, resume and completed application to the Director of Human Resources. Positions filled through the lateral hire process are exempt from competitive examination.
Requirements for Applicants
- Must be a US Citizen
- Must have a valid Ohio driver’s license
- Must have a high school diploma or higher education level
- Must not have reached their 35th birthday
- An applicant must currently or have previously been employed as a peace officer
- An applicant must be Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) certified
Additional Applicant Information
- For applicants previously employed as a peace officer, there shall be no more than a one-year break in service from previous employment as a peace officer.
- Lateral hire applicants may be required to submit to the following, including but not limited to:
- A thorough background investigation
- Polygraph examination
- Psychological and medical evaluation
- Drug screening
- Physical Agility Evaluation
- Oral interview by an assessment board
- Applicants appointed as a police officer through the lateral hire process must successfully complete a truncated field training program and will have a 12-month probationary period with the department.
- Patrol Officer Grade Classification for lateral hired police officers will be credited based on prior service in the position of police officer. Lateral transfer officers shall receive one-year credit for prior service for each one year (up to five years) of prior service for purposes of pay and benefits.