In 1936, the City of Tiffin began to development a plan for sewerage improvements, as at that time the city had been diverting sewage directly into the Sandusky River. The study, conducted by H.P. Jones and Company, came to the conclusion the city needed to build a primary treatment plant. In 1955, the primary treatment plant was built. Realizing that more thorough treatment was needed, the City contracted with Floyd G Browne and Associates in 1964, which lead the installation of secondary wastewater treatment facilities and sludge filtration. In 1988, the city added a third digester to the sludge treatment and a chlorine building to house the cylinders of chlorine that are used to disinfect the water before it is discharged into the river.
The most recent upgrade was started in 2015 which included new mechanical bar screens and upgrading the aeration tanks with fine bubble diffusers and adding anoxic zones to help with nutrient removal. In 2017, the city reached an agreement with the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency on its new Long Term Control Plan which included upgrading the wastewater treatment plant to be capable of handling flows up to 13MGD by adding another larger 80’ diameter secondary clarifier and a 13 million gallon equalization basin to help eliminate combined sewer overflow activations that dump raw sewage into the Sandusky River.
Tours available upon request.
Our mission is to protect public health and the environment for our communities by providing high-quality wastewater treatment services in an effective, efficient, and responsive manner.
- Drop off of leaf and brush is accepted during plant hours, 7 a.m.-2:30 p.m. 7 days a week.
- No grass, trash, or trees larger than 8” in diameter will be accepted.
- Mulch giveaway is all year, as long as supply lasts
- Compost Giveaway starts Oct. 1 every year